A small wildfire broke out Thursday in the Holland Hills area near Basalt. Officials believe it started because of an electrical issue.
The fire burned about a quarter of an acre near the Arbaney-Kittle trailhead on Thursday afternoon. Firefighters contained it within an hour of their arrival. Basalt Deputy Fire Chief Pete Bradshaw said witnesses heard an explosion near powerlines just before the fire started.
“There was probably some sort of failure of the electrical equipment on one of the electrical poles,” he said.
There was a power outage in the area, as well.
Bradshaw said Gould Construction and Flame-Out Fire Protection, which is a sprinkler company, were working in the area and used fire extinguishers and water trucks to help before firefighters arrived. One person was treated on scene for minor injuries.