The controversial kind of study is called a “human challenge study” and it’s controversial because it involves researchers purposefully infecting (or “challenging”) healthy volunteers with the virus after giving them an experimental treatment or vaccine, to see if it worked. Phase 3 trials are the standard route for evaluating experimental vaccines and treatments. In those, researchers give a candidate drug to thousands of volunteers and then follow them to see how many end up developing the...
NPR's Nation & World
- A Crisis Within A Crisis: Food Insecurity And COVID-19
- Paradox-Free Time Travel Is Theoretically Possible, Researchers Say
- U.S. Judge Halts Trump's TikTok Ban, Hours Before It Was Set To Start
- Trump Dismisses 'New York Times' Report That He Paid Little In Federal Income Taxes
- NYC Principals Union Votes 'No Confidence' In Mayor And Schools Chancellor