2021 Aspen Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Grizzly Creek Fire: Resources, And Listener Questions Answered

Grizzly Creek Fire

The Aspen Public Radio news team spoke with Grizzly Creek Fire Public Information Officer Jennifer Russell and Renelle Lott of Garfield County, and compiled a list of resources and answers to listeners' questions regarding the Grizzly Creek Fire, which sparked in Glenwood Canyon on Monday, August 10. A time-stamped updates page regarding the fire can be found here.

Where do I go to find out if my neighborhood has received evacuation orders?


Updated information about evacuations is available at the Garfield County website and Eagle County Emergency website. In Garfield County, you can also contact the Sheriff’s Office at (970) 625-8095, in Eagle County call (970) 479-2201. Eagle County Emergency Management has created an interactive map of the Grizzly Creek fire area with current evacuation zones and road closures. Note: You can plug in your address at the top of the map to see if your home or property is located in an evacuation zone. Garfield County has also created an evacuation map, which does not include the fire perimeter.

I’ve received a pre-evacuation notice, what should I do to prepare?


The International Fire Chiefs Association has created a Wildfire Action Plan. If you are under pre-evacuation, scroll down to “Get Set As The Fire Approaches” (pg 9) for a comprehensive checklist, including how to pack an emergency supply kit.  

Credit Grizzly Creek Fire
A helicopter uses a dip site to fight the Grizzly Creek Fire. The Grizzly Creek Fire is currently burning in rugged terrain north and south of the Colorado River.

I’ve received evacuation orders, where can I go?


Evacuees can go to Glenwood Springs Community Center located at 100 Wulfsohn Road and the Gypsum Recreation Center at 52 Lundgren Blvd. The American Red Cross of Colorado has also opened an evacuation center in Edwards at the Battle Mountain High school at 0151 Miller Ranch Rd.

What if I have to evacuate with livestock?


The Garfield County Fairgrounds in Rifle is open to anyone who needs a place for evacuated livestock. The fairgrounds has 100 stalls, pens for livestock, and RV hookups for 30 and 50 amp hookups. To arrange arrival at the fairgrounds, call 970-625-2514 from 9-5 on weekdays, and 970-309-4341 after hours.

What roads are closed?


You can get the latest information on road closures and traffic updates on the Colorado Department of Transportation’s website and Facebook page. Updates are also posted on COTrip, which includes maps to plan your route. 

Credit Grizzly Creek Fire
Hand crews dig containment lines in Glenwood Canyon.

Where is the fire now? How many acres have burned?


You can view a map of the fire, acreage and containment on InciWeb.

Are there fire restrictions in place?


You can find up to date fire restriction information at https://colorado.gov/pacific/dfpc/fire-restriction-information

Should I be concerned about air quality levels from the smoke?


You find the latest air quality levels for your area on PurpleAir. There's also a page dedicated to the Grizzly Creek Fire on the Interagency Wildland Fire Air Quality Response Program's website, which includes 48-hour forecasts for communities on all sides of the fire.

Where can I get general updates on the fire?


Residents are strongly encouraged to sign up for updates from their respective counties. In Garfield County, go to the Garfield County website and sign up for notifications at garco911.com. For residents of Eagle County, go to www.ecalert.org to sign up for notifications. Grizzly Creek Fire’s Facebook page hosts live discussions, daily debriefings and the latest information about the fire.

Related Content